Friday, December 12, 2008

Thank you, Ray and Carol

When I was a teenager, I was always at church and really involved in the youth group. I can't remember not knowing who Ray Boltz was. His music was always there. I went on a mission trip with Teen Mania when I was in high school. One of my friends went to Botswana with Teen Mania that year and Ray Boltz was also there to shoot a video. My friend was in his video. I think the song was "I Will Tell the World." I think. Needless to say, Ray Boltz was popular in our youth group.

I read an interview recently where Ray Boltz talked about his coming out experience. I had such mixed emotions about it. Part of me was scared for him. Scared because I know how people in the church can treat those of us who come out. Everyone knows that you can't be gay and christian. If you are, then you must be deceived and "not right with God." Part of me was sad for him too. Sad because I know how bad rejection from church and family hurt. I think more than anything, I was impressed (I use this word because I'm not quite sure what other word to use). It takes a lot of courage for anyone to come out. When a well known christian who has been put up on a pedestal comes out, they have to be prepared for the attacks and rejection that surely come.

If you haven't been there, you can't know how hard it is as a christian who happens to be gay to make the decision to be honest about who you are - honest with yourself and others. So, I am impressed. Impressed with the courage of Ray Boltz to be who God created him to be. Impressed with his wife who has the courage to be supportive when it would probably be a lot easier not to be.


Ray Boltz has a new song out called "Don't Tell Me Who to Love." Check it out at the following link with this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBQyJTXiOYs

1 comment:

  1. HI Angie,

    I'm almost sure I read your blog before, but not sure if I commented. Sorry for how rough it is with your mom/family, but there is always hope for improvement. It takes so much change on behalf of the fundamentalist, and I was one of them. When you make the jump to change what you believe, you have to decide where you base your faith - and it is a rebuilding process. I so hope that your mom can understand. Keep doing your best - it sounds like you are trying.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete